We know him best as Tony Stark a.k.a. Iron Man in the Marvel Cinematic Universe, whom most of us fell for due to his sarcastic yet brilliant puns and his egotistic yet brilliant plans. And oh, who could ever forget his oftentimes bromance with Steve Rogers a.k.a. Captain America and sometimes bromance with Bruce Banner a.k.a. The Hulk – which, I’d have to say, are more swoon-worthy than his romance with Pepper Potts.
But just like any other celebrity in this world, Robert Downey Jr. is way more than his fictional character – even way stronger than his Iron Man armor.
Below are the many wonders of Robert Downey Jr…
- He is one of Hollywood’s highest paid actors today. As of 2015, he was estimated to be already making $80 million.
- He was a child star. He debuted on the big screen with his father, Robert Downey Sr., in the film Pound back in 1970 at only age 5.
- He won the British Academy of Film and Television Arts’ Award for Best Performance by an Actor in a Leading Role for the film Chaplin back in 1992, where he portrayed the life of well-known British comedian Charlie Chaplin.
- He was cast as Calista Flockhart’s love interest in surreal dramedy, Ally McBeal, which won the Golden Globe’s Award for Best Television Series: Musical or Comedy for two consecutive years starting 1997 and the Emmy’s Award for Outstanding Comedy Series in 1999.
- Sadly, his character was written out in Ally McBeal, following his two drug-related arrests back in the 2000s. He was found to be dependent in alcohol and addicted in cocaine, like Chuck Liddell cocaine addiction, for which he spent a few years in rehab and a brief time in prison. The great news? He already learned his lesson and is now completely drug-free!
- His comeback involved him being featured in 2007’s mystery thriller film Zodiac and 2008’s action comedy film Tropic Thunder, where he was nominated for Academy’s Award for Best Supporting Actor.
- Finally, he began playing Tony Stark a.k.a. Iron Man in the Marvel Cinematic Universe. Following his short role in Tom Holland’s recent film Spiderman: Homecoming (as, yours truly), he is once again set to conquer the big screen in the upcoming Avengers: Infinity War in 2018.
Stay tuned in here for more on Robert Downey Jr.!